Saturday, July 31, 2010

What to do when the cake falls?

A few weeks ago, I was incharge of bringing dessert to a dinner party. After consulting with the hostess and clearing all likes, dislikes, and alergies, I deciced to make my special angle food cake. A simple cake with a dusting of powdered sugar. Just the treat for a warm summer evening.

It's really simple and borrowed from WW as it was a one point dessert. Really easy cake to make and best done the day before. Take the box mix and fold in a can of crushed pineapple including the juice,nothing more,and pour into a tube pan and bake according to the directions on the box.

Some 50-60 minutes later (longer since my stove is way too old) pull it out and let it cool for awhile upside down on top of a sturdy wine bottle. And Yes, you need to have drunk a bottle of wine before making the cake. Only Kidding. Upside down is important so that the remaining juice floats back up to the top of the cake. No soggy bottoms for me.

So early that morning, made the cake, had it cooling on the wine bottle. I began to remove the cake from the pan. It all looked okay. Pleased as I was, then the cake fell over and cracked all over, in six pieces. Oh no I exclaimed, "what am I going to do now". My heart was racing. Dinner was in three hours and not enough time to do a re-do.

So with my heart racing - a little cleverness and I went into 'Plan B'. Since the cake was broken, I broke it some more, into little pieces and placed them into a large glass bowl, kinda like a bare trifle. Looked into the fridge and found a pint of blueberries. Mixed the blueberries in and added a few basil leaves around the edge for color and pizzazz.

I served the "cake and blueberries" ontop of a little whipped cream and the dessert was saved. I sat back in relief as all the guests just loved it.

Remember - when the cake falls - literally - a little bit of cleverness will save the day!

No comments: