Thursday, August 13, 2009

Take me out to the Ball Park


.... as the old song says, and with that session three of Camp Aunt Patty commenced today. My grateful, smart and funny nephew, Spencer, is here for his stay. Agenda is a Rock Cats baseball game, Mystery visit, and then on to the CT Science Museum.

We did our "traditional" lunch at Steve's, then off to the Library for more books and a few movies. My nephew is a master at being a grocery shopping assistant. He's turned me on to Fusion V-8 juice - yum yum.

Then off to the ball park, making sure we packed rain gear - yes - it rained most of the day though just in time for the park to open, the sun slid out and we ended up with the a most enjoyable evening.

First order of business was a souvenier, I gave him a ball cap of his choosing and then off for the autographs by the players.

How exciting this was - these guys play in the Minnesota Twins Farm System AA ball. If you don't know the Farm system, the first level is the Rookie, next up is A, then up to AA, and final stop is AAA before reaching the majors. Spenc and I did a thorough review of the stats of the team members, he dusted off my unused baseball knowledge. One thing I did notice that they were all born in the mid 1980s.


Could this get any better? Of course it could - in the 2nd inning -voila - Spenc gets to catch a foul ball! He's the now proud owner of a AA league baseball. We had great seats - two rows above the home teams' dugout. It was a long game. Tied for the entire game - zero to zero - so off to twelvth inning! Then it was 1 out, man on first and third, and the batter hits the ball, low, a grounder and the guy of third makes it home! Yippie - we were yelling, stomping feet, banging on the seats as that's a baseball thing as the concrete doesn't make much sound. It really doesn't get much better! Thanks Spenc!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."