Sunday, September 6, 2009

Email - how much time do you spend?

It is now amazing how much email shows up in your inbox. Ten years ago - that's 1999 - where were you? Were you getting this much stuff? Email was "invented" by a DOD guy in 1971. I remember using an email in grad school in 1988 with students in Korea. It was pretty cool. While it was in through the EDU "net", it was kinda cool to get a message around the world and back in about ten minutes!

Email is a great tool, though we can spend too much time, therefore waisting valuable time that could be spent doing anything else. It represents some one else's agenda, what they want from you.

According to a study by Radicati - (August 2008) there is about 1.3 billion email users (approximately 1 out of every 5 people on the planet has email)- there is nearly 183 billion pieces of email sent each day. No wonder some of us get an unnecessary about of email. Continuing with the same study - about 70% of emails are spam or viruses.

I've been using different methods to conquer my landslide of email. I have filters that put incoming mail into folders, check it about 2 - 3's per day. If something comes in that I need to know about sooner, I'm sure the sender will find me using some other technology. Over the last month or so, I had some real trouble with email, it wouldn't download, or would download three times - ugh! After some trials, it is now fixed. I did learn to delete more mail when I had to deal with my server, I did have to get "done" quicker, my email tools were stripped down while using the server than my own MS Outlook is set for. Let me tell you that having a empty email inbox, even if only for a few hours, is a great stress reducer.

Great book that I just read - Julie Morgenstern's "Never Check Email in the Morning" points out that your first hour should be saved for your most critial important task in the day. By checking email 1st thing - you get in a reactive mode. Why not get into a proactive mode first. Check out her interview! You may pick up a hint or two! and Good Luck to you and thank you Julie!

No comments: