Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Quinoa.... do you knowa?

Sometime ago I had a stickey note on this grain though I didn't know what it was. Then recently I was shopping for gluten free items as my niece & nephew were visiting. I like to find a gluten free dish we all can make and enjoy together. I found a "corn bread" recipe that was a great hit and now my sister-in-law has to make lots of it.

While I didn't use it during the visit, I spotted it in the pantry and made some the other day. Simply boiled it, added fresh herbs, lemon juice and let it marinate in the fridge over night. It cooks like couscous (though that is made from wheat and not gluten free) it was a breeze. Yum Yum!

It's a native of South America - primarily from Bolivia and Peru which produce about 60% of the world comsumption. The plant is grown for it's seeds and there are many varieties. It's a complete protein - i.e. it includes all nine amino acids.

I highly recommend this grain/seed. If you are interested, do a internet search - you'll be pleasantly surprised

No comments: